Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:40:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, des@des.no
Subject:   Re: File system blocks alignment

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
 > As for newfs, the defaults are fine as long as the filesystem doesn't
 > fill up to the point where UFS starts using fragments - but when it
 > does, you're in trouble anyway, so there's no point in overriding the
 > defaults unless it makes sense for your data: a filesystem used mostly
 > to store large files may benefit from increased block / fragment sizes,
 > but remember to keep the 8:1 ratio.

I've created file systems with 1:1 ratio in the past
for storing large files (multimedia stuff and similar),
and with a very low inode density.  So far I haven't
encountered any problems.

Is there a reason for not using a 1:1 ratio, and
should I rebuild my file systems with 1:8 ratio?

Best regards
   Oliver

"Clear perl code is better than unclear awk code; but NOTHING
comes close to unclear perl code"  (taken from comp.lang.awk FAQ)