Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:04:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   qemu serial console

Hi,

I'm running the current version of qemu from the ports
collection (i.e. 0.8.0_5) with RELENG_6 (i.e. 6.1-BETA4)
on i386.  Host and guest are both FreeBSD.

Since the server is headless, I have to run qemu with
the -nographic switch.  Basically that shouldn't be a
problem, because we're not using graphical applications.

However, for out-of-band management, there must be a way
to connect to the console of the guest system.  According
to the docs, "-serial stdio" should do the trick.  But it
does not, it's simply dead (no output).  Then I tried
"-serial file:foo", just to see if anything appears, but
the file is just one byte which is zero.  :-(

In the guest, I have enabled it in /etc/ttys:

   ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on secure

And /dev/ttyd0 exists:

   crw-------  1 root  wheel    0,  55 Apr  5 15:57 ttyd0

And the getty is indeed running:

   417  ??  I   0:00.02 /usr/libexec/getty std.9600 ttyd0

But the tty is reported as "??".  Shouldn't that be "d0"?

There are no error messages in any log file or dmesg.
The virtual serial port is detected fine in the guest:

   sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
   sio0: type 16450

Am I doing anything wrong?  What do I miss?

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python is an experiment in how much freedom programmers need.
Too much freedom and nobody can read another's code; too little
and expressiveness is endangered."
        -- Guido van Rossum