Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 10:41:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nightmare.

> >> # mount /dev/st0 /mnt
> >> # cd /mnt
> >> (whirrrr chug)
> >> # (cd /usr; tar cvf - .) | tar xf -
> >> (whirrrr chug whirrrr chug whirrr chug for several years)
> >
> >Got to try out. What a pitty I have only  2GB DAT.... But I think I
> >can copy many small-sized files to it, if it works, of course.
>
> I tried it, it doesn't.
>
> Please fix it if you have time.  It is a usefull feature, in particular
> for a dat that can do moderately fast positioning.

I don't have a DAT handy to try this with, actually (not here at least),
does anybody know what problems might prevent this?

I am 99% positive that newfs just won't work on a tape :-)  But I suspect
it might be possible to hack it to work with creative use of dd off a
formatted hard disk..?  (i.e. newfs the hard disk, dd to tape, maybe then
mount the tape?)

Could be cool, even useful.  Very strange too.

... JG