Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 95 13:01:13 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Announcing 2.0.5-950622-SNAP

> > Yeah.  Nothing that can't be overwritten should be in /etc.
> >
> > The sysconfig stuf should go in /var.  /var is per machine.
>
> Totally disagreed.
>
> /var is basically crap.  /var/spool and /var/crash come to mind.
> Nobody is really going to even backup that crap.  Our current
> filesystem layout allows to go _all_ configuration information from
> /etc to fit onto a single standard floppy.

Var is per machine VARiable information.  The configuration of a
machine is per machine variable information.

Share is sharable architecture independant data.

Usr is sharable architecture dependent data.

Root is sharable architecture dependent data.

Th /etc file contents that you are backing up ar *not* configuration
files.  You *DON'T* make changes to rc.* scripts to configure a machine
in a data driven environment.  That's the beauty of a data-driven
environment: you just blow everything by selected data files.

In terms of a shared / (and therefore a shared /etc) in a diskless or
a dataless environment, you would like to place NIS reference lines
in the /etc/passwd and the /etc/hosts and the /etc/hosts.lpd and the
/etc/groups file and be done with it.  Non-identical mount configurations
mean use the automounter *or* move the mount table over to a writeable
area.

The same is true for local configuration files for, for instance, the
configuration data which tells a machine its name or whatever information
is local to the machine.

Ideally, a diskless or dataless machine gets it IP address, etc, via
DHCP anyway.

> I cannot see how sysconfig would fit into ``log, temporary, transient
> and spool'' files.

You could consider sysconfig a "log of the desired machine state".

The heir(7) man page is at odds with the FSSTND document that the core
group is close to signing up for anyway, and isn't a good reference.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.