Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:58:59 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@home.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        Leonard Chung <leonard@ssl.berkeley.edu>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, kline@tao.thought.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad IDE Drive

At 07:45 PM 10/10/00 -0500, you wrote:
>At 01:17 PM 10/10/00 -0700, Leonard Chung wrote:
>>
>>The differing RPMs is more of a marketing decision than any inherent
>>limitation in IDE itself. SCSI is a premium product, so it gets the
>>higher RPMs first and sometimes bigger buffers, but again, this is due
>>not to the SCSI bus having higher performance. Where the focus is on
>>spindle speed for SCSI, the focus for IDE is on areal density. IDE drives
>>actually give better performance for the dollar in MAPS (megabyte
>>accesses per second), KAPS (kilobyte accesses/s), and much better
>>performance in sequential performance (i.e. all round) and for that
>>price, you get the benefit of redundancy. So with IDE you get better
>>performance and less cost.
>
>This smells like a techie sales pitch.  Little meaningful info regardless
>of terms and large words.  Did I mention I'm a hard sell?

Actually, it is probably true.  On the low-end, IDE's although rather rare
bursts, would most likely outperform an older scsi drive.  I got a 9.1 G
Ultrastar 9LP and a maxtor 27 gigabyte ide drive.  Sorry, the maxtor
usually wins out.

However, do realize, sequential data is useless for certain
applications.  If you do serious streaming of random data, you are going to
be seeking everywhere.   Plus SCSI can usually give consistently
throughput, IDE usually does not.  I believe the average data size is
~32KBytes before a new seek.  So as you scale up the IDE burst, you start
to realize your "savings in time" are pretty much nothing even if you could
move an infinite amount of data.  (if you just start counting seeks to the
next data block).  Unfortunately, my old 9.1 SCSI drive's seek time is NOT
impressive... so the maxtor gets darn close, and with it's superior data
rate burst, the scsi drive loses.  The superior data rate comes from the
density.  Please note, density drops on the scsi drive since they want to
keep the disk platters lighter (optimized for the in between for speed and
density).

The Scsi bus is far superior to the Ide bus, overlapping queue commands, etc.

Some reasons why scsi is more expensive,
They are giving you a longer warranty on average, more liability.
Scsi is harder to debug (the controllers), testing is a larger % of cost in
all hardware.  (this is a hard fact, the testing adding a large % of the
cost that is).
The entire "it's cheaper since i dont' need a scsi controller" bit.
The controller on the drive itself probably costs a bit more due to
economies of scale.
You can argue researching for the fastest known drive at the time is
expensive too.

And the ever popular "It's a conspiracy by the harddrive makers!"  (ok.. I
do not vouch for this, as I strongly feel the former possibilities are the
harder reason why).

>You would need follow up with figures that involve more than one
>transaction.  Many more.  The hardware may be similar, but the interface
>is where the "real world" difference will be evident in a busy production
>environment.
>
>The vagaries referring to price I must presume are talking about RAID
>arrays (otherwise it's non-scenical).  Seeing a comparison between the
>same array with IDE vs SCSI would be interesting.  Drives should have very
>similar numbers using your comparison.
>
>With IDE I think most would agree that initial cost will be
>lower.  However, longevity counts, so total cost for the lifecycle should
>be considered.  The longer the period, the more likely that IDE will end
>up costing more.

With IDE I think most would agree that initial cost will be
lower.  However, longevity counts, so total cost for the lifecycle should
be considered.  The longer the period, the more likely that IDE will end up
costing more.

Despite the fact that if you count the warranty factor, it's still cheaper
per megabyte to throw the old IDE drive away and get a new one.

I do not believe there is a strong correlation as to "ide drives dying
faster" than "scsi drives."  In fact, from my personal experience, I
believe I have felt the same if not more leaning towards the IDE drives.  I
still vote for SCSI for the most part though.

>Going strictly by drive specs and current street cost isn't near enough to
>sell me, and  surely others, on your ideas.  Don't take offense either,
>there just seem to be a few holes that need to be fixed.  Even if you are
>referring to a workstation or single user application where I have opted
>for older "slower" SCSI drives than years newer IDE drives for performance
>reasons.
>
>Anxiously awaiting the test results...  8-)
>

>Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net

Well, not sure how old you are comparing your "slower" scsi drives... just
telling you from personal experience .... oh yeah you want numbers?

www.storagereview.com

Ignore the crap with the other benchmarks.  The IoMeter benchmark (by
intel) is the better test.  If you got an older cheetah or barracuda, you
will probably get comparable if not superior performance against the new
ides.  If you got anything less... it's almost definitely slower.  Of
course the drivers will make a difference for cpu utilization.  (scsi
usually wins in this one).

Finally, I am neither an IDE fan nor SCSI fan in all situations.  They have
their places in different areas.  For Dollar per Megabytes, you really win
with IDE.  For performance, you might even say so (economically).  For the
absolute best... SCSI wins out.  As for the raid situation, you'd need a
dedicated channel for each IDE drive... good lord, does that thing take up
IRQs per channel?  If so, cannot possibly scale to match up to a good scsi
raid.

-Carroll Kong