Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 18:21:57 +0100
From:      Jan Buchmann <buchmann@stud.uni-frankfurt.de>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd thread-question

Hello to all freebsd java users,

first: the good news: the RFE reached 1000 votes :-).

second: some some questions about porting java to freebsd (I don't really know to much about differences between different OSs, but I'll just ask my questions from what I've heard.):

1. Shouldn't it be easier for SUN or another party to port the original Solaris JDK to FreeBSD systems) cause both OSs derive from the original BSD and FreeBSD is not a completly new implementation of *nix, like Linux is?

2. Does FreeBSD have a kernel-thread implementation, so that a port can use native-threads?

3. Is it possible to use Linux JDK1.2 under FreeBSD with native-threads?

4. Does anyone know if IBM wants to do a JDK-Port to FreeBSD (their Linux-JDK is pure native threads)?

5. What are the main differences between Solaris, AIX and FreeBSD under the view of porting or implementing JDK1.2?

I don't know if this system-specific questions are right in this list, but i ask anyway :-).
I really appreciate the work of the Porting Team, and the company I work for is using it for production use.

Thanks Nate and all the others and I hope you can answer some of my questions.

Jan