Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 95 13:44:02 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Announcing 2.0.5-950622-SNAP

> As Terry Lambert wrote:
> >
> > Th /etc file contents that you are backing up ar *not* configuration
> > files.  You *DON'T* make changes to rc.* scripts to configure a machine
> > in a data driven environment.  That's the beauty of a data-driven
> > environment: you just blow everything by selected data files.
>
> There is quite more system configuration stuff in /etc.  Consider
> /etc/namedb, /etc/uucp, /etc/slip and /etc/uucp.  All of them are
> site-specific.

The /etc/namedb stuff on most systems I've seen goes in /var/named.

The uucp stuff is largely relocatable (and not generally applicable
to a diskless/dataless environment anyway -- neither are any of the
others, for that matter).

And you must really like uucp to use it twice as an example.  8-).

> I've once been working with Data General machines, they have been
> specialized to be diskless bootable.  Nevertheless, they considered
> /etc to be machine-dependant.  (But they've made /bin a symlink to
> /usr/bin.  I'm not sure _we_ want this, however.)

Probably not; I believe the difference in /usr/bin and /bin on Sun
systems relates to "miniroot" installation (or reinstallation) of
the / directory and contents.  So you could argue it either way,
depending on which administrative options you wanted.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.