Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:24:04 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bktr / fxtv problem -fixed!-

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 08:48:38AM -0500, Randall Hopper stood up and spoke:

> What would be interesting to see is if, when you start fxtv with your
> PAL/BDGHI X resource setting, if you then switched to NTSC/M manually via
> the format menu, and then switched back to PAL/BDGHI, are you in the same
> bad state as you were originally?  And when you quit and restart fxtv, does
> that "clear up" this bad state.

Well, this problem is more weird that you and I could ever think. Actually,
what I had just done did not fix the problem. Something else did, and I'm
in the process of finding out why. Here's the story:

When I thought I successfully got fxtv to work, I was also doing a "make
clean" in /usr/ports just at the same time. While this make clean operating
was running, fxtv worked fine, once the operation completed, I was back at
the old problems! So I ran "make clean" in /usr/ports again, and the
problem was fixed for another ten minutes! I also noticed that receiving
teletext with alevt would also only work while my "make clean" was running.

So, for you as the author of fxtv, I can confirm that what I had been
seeing is really not a problem with your software (which I like very much,
by the way!). Instead, I highly guess that it's a problem with my KT133 /
686B chipset. It's really strange - when the hard disk is working, I can
watch TV and teletext, but when the hard disk is idle, I can't!

I've reported this problem to FreeBSD's IDE / ATA / 686b bug guru Soren
Schmidt. I asked him if he has a clue what the hard disk thing might have
to do with my TV watching. In the mean time, my only solution is to run a
script that constantly cleans /usr/ports. As long as the script runs, I can
watch TV just fine.

As I said, this is really weird, and I wonder if anyone's seen that before
;-)

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany