Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 18:06:18 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linux emulation vs. native (was Re: Quake's out ...)

Terry Lambert writes:

> One could argue that it's better for Browsers that run on FreeBSD
> to report "FreeBSD" rather than "Linux" to the web sites it runs against.

Umm, they do.  Netscape (by far the most popular) uses uname to
determine the system type.  I found this out from a site that proceeded
to inform me that it didn't find a match for 'insert uname output' on
it's site.  I thought it was pretty clever to auto search for software
matching the OS you are running.

Nate