Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 1995 15:14:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Announcing 2.0.5-950622-SNAP

This whoole thing is silly, It's very hard to build a completely data driven
environment, at least with the BSD model. System V is a lot easier... you
just put your init/getty stuff in /etc/conf/init.d, and your startup scripts
in /etc/rc*.d/whatever. When you have a new installation it updates the
standard scripts, and /etc/conf/init.d/base, and your custom stuff stays
sane...

Now this can fit well with Terry's /var ideas. I think there needs to be
a pretty consistent location for all this stuff.

	/etc/local.rc		->	/var/conf/rc.d/*
	/etc/ttys		->	/var/conf/init.d/*
	/etc/uucp/*		->	/var/conf/uucp.d/*
	/var/cron/*		->	/var/conf/cron.d/*
	/etc/*.conf		->	/var/conf/*.conf
	/etc/daily		->	/var/conf/cron.d/daily

And so on...

The trick is, the *standard* distribution would come with all these
files and directories empty. I think I might try setting my 1.1.5 system
up this way and see how much of the config stuff can be moved out of /etc
before I upgrade...