Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 1998 17:41:42 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recent kernel and broken WinTV

Greg,
your analysis of the tuner detection code was correct.
It appears the new i2c code used has broken the tuner detection on
the bt848 driver.

Although I have worked all all the recent bt848 driver fixes, I had
nothing to do with the i2c bus changes so I cannot help. I do not run
the latest kernel either :-(

> Intel Smart Video III/VideoLogic Captivator PCI, <none> tuner.
As it says, no tuner.

Looks like the iicbus code is not passing the right results back
to the bt848 driver.

You should have got some progress from setting
sysctl -w hw.bt848.card  = 2
sysctl -w hw.bt848.tuner = yyy

where yyy is all values from 1 to 11

Alternativly, go back to the old bt848 driver (rev 1.56 I think) for
/sys/pci/brooktree848.c
Then re-build.

Hopefully, some of the i2c bus guys can help.

Roger
--
Roger Hardiman        | Telepresence Research Group
roger@cs.strath.ac.uk | DMEM, University of Strathclyde