Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 95 13:00:07 EDT
From:      fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne)
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu, taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't boot a new 2.0.5A system

> > >     Hmmmm... I thought one of the reasons why I bought a SCSI drive
> > > was to avoid worrying about stuff like geometry and cylinder
> > > translations and what not.  At least I never had to worry about it on
> > > any other computer with a SCSI disk until now.  The older installers
> > > guessed it correctly, so I didn't touch the settings on this one.
> >

> When in doubt freebsd looks to see what DOS did, so it you have a DOS
> partition, it'll use those geometry figures..
>
> by definition then at least the BIOS and FreeBSD will match..

The new install got the wrong geometry even when I had FreeBSD 2.0 on
the entire disk...  Perhaps there was a problem with the stuff that
an old fdisk created???  I don't remember if I ever installed with an NCR
controller before.  (I used to have an Adaptec 1542CF on here...)
So, maybe my NCR scsi bios is messing things up???
Are you guys sure that the user setting of the geometry thing (i.e. G in
the fdisk screen) is working properly??

Fred.