Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 12:40:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Martin Renters <martin@tdc.on.ca>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        phk@critter.tfs.com, narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nightmare.

> I am 99% positive that newfs just won't work on a tape :-)  But I suspect
> it might be possible to hack it to work with creative use of dd off a
> formatted hard disk..?  (i.e. newfs the hard disk, dd to tape, maybe then
> mount the tape?)

HP used to do install tapes like this too.  They had a block tape device
which worked on 9-track tape devices.  I guess they counted record marks
to determine what block they were on and then issues FSR and BSR commands
to the drive to position the tape.  I suspect they also laid files out
on the tape in the order in which the install program was going to use
them.

I don't know whether the UFS file layout algorithms help or hinder
a filesystem on a sequential device....   :-)

Martin