Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:03:42 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Alexander Anderson <cactoss@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to find out new ports after cvsup

Alexander Anderson wrote:

> I used an example ports-supfile from /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ to upgrade
> my ports collection. How can I find out what exactly is new other than
> browsing readmes?
>
> Eventually, I would like to set up a cron job to fetch the new ports
> periodically. I would also like to send myself an email listing all the
> updates in the ports collection. Is it doable?

It depends on what you want to see. You could redirect the output from
cvsup to a log file. I don't do this on my ports but do it to all of
my updates to stable. There are some utilities in the cvsup package
that will convert the log to HTML and you can browse through the
changes with something that processes HTML. I just happen to use KDE.
When I convert the cvsup.log to HTML, I add the
year-month-day-hour-minute to the name. The top part of my upworld
shell script looks like

#! /bin/sh
cd /root/cvsup
cvsup -g -L 2 4.x-stable-supfile 2>&1 | tee cvsup.log

# Now convert the log to html`
cvsuplog < cvsup.log > cvsup-`date "+%Y%m%d-%H%M"`.html

You can't do a cvsup in a minute but you can do a number of them in an
hour. Cvsuplog is something Nik Clayton put together and I happened
across it before I found a similar utility on the cvsup-bin tarball. I
happen to like what he had done and didn't see any point in trying
Polestra's utility. I don't fix things that aren't broken.

When you look at the HTML file, you can click on a change and the
browser will take you to the cvs repository at freebsd.org where you
can see the changes that were made. I don't think you need that kind
of detail on the ports but you can see what is different or what was
fixed. I think there will be a large sequence of checkouts for the new
ports. The presence of a Makefile, pkg-comment pkg-descr, and
pkg-plist in the log may be the only easy way to identify a new port.
There has to be some unique in the log that would flag a new port and
you could probably grep on that and email that result. I have lots of
logs of my stable cvsup's but not a one of my port cvsup's.

The pkg-utilities will tell you the status of your system relative to
the index but they don't identify new ports.

I figure there is probably something simple that you can do but it
isn't obvious without capturing some logs to find out. It also depends
on what you really want to see. I decided to log an update to my ports
list. I will have to see what it does.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart