Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:09:21 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "Michael C. Shultz" <reso3w83@verizon.net>
Cc:        Ean Kingston <ean@hedron.org>
Subject:   Re: Updated perl - broke stuff

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 12:37:28AM -0800, Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> portupgrade -rf forces the rebuild of the port and ALL of its=20
> dependencies, and it builds them  in the wrong order, it is nothing=20
> like portmanager.
>=20
> example:
>=20
> if the following are installed:
>=20
> masterPort-0.0
> dependentPort-A-0.0
> dependentPort-B-0.0
>=20
> then
>=20
> dependency-A-0.0 is upgraded
> to dependency-A-0.1
>=20
> portupgrade -rf masterPort-0.0
>=20
> will build the following in the following order:
>=20
> masterPort-0.0
> dependentPort-A-0.1
> dependentPort-B-0.0

Maybe I misunderstand what relationship you are thinking of between
these ports, but 'portupgrade -rf dependency-A-0.0' would do
dependency-A, then masterPort, just as below.  Are you confusing -r
with -R (which upgrades ports 'in the other direction in the
dependency tree')?  If I'm misunderstanding what you mean, can you
spell it out with clearer Makefile fragments (i.e. what RUN_DEPENDS on
what)?

> portmanager -u will do the following:
>=20
> dependentPort-A-0.1
> masterPort-0.0
>=20
> There is a huge difference here!  Portupgrade
> builds the top level port before it's dependencies,
> then proceeds to build all of the dependencies wither
> they need it or not.

Kris
--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--