Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 10:07:03 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: src/gnu

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote in message ID
<779.832795234@critter.tfs.com>:
> Apart from that, wouldn't it make more sense to use the "ports" paradigm
> on them instead of checking in all the files ?  In theory we should be
> running pretty much footool-9.3.tar.gz with a few patches, so why not
> speed up our CVS-tree by actually not checking in the thousands of files
> but rather access them by reference via the tar file ?

That would mean running up against the one flaw of the current ports
system. I get my source code updates by CTM, and I am VERY happy with
the fact that I just go to /usr/src and do what I want. I don't want
to have to think ``do I have that tarball available, and if not, how
bad is network congestion right now''.

If something could be done about that, I'd be more than happy to see
bsd.port.mk used in the main tree.

Gary (making his point for those who, like him, still sit behind a
      dial-up modem)