Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 20:58:44 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Fedor M. Snegov" <Fedor.Snegov@pobox.spbu.ru>
To:        =?koi8-r?Q?Jukka_Simil=E4?= <lmkjuksi@info1.info.tampere.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My fbsd experiences

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Jukka Similä wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've been around since june, but because of my cdrom drive I didn't use
> freebsd for 2-3 months.
> Now I got "new" computer (166Mhz/64MB/4.3G+2*0.5G/6x)and I'm back to fbsd -
> after several weeks of parsing and praying..
> I've got dualboot, with Nt 4.0 WS on first partition (1G) and fbsd 2.2.6 on
> second partition, 3G. It was interesting when I was installing these OS'es -
> NT didn't see fbsd's boot manager, and boot manager sees NTFS as HPFS .
> Windows 95 didn't like me at all, it destroyed my harddisk and I had to format
> it. I was so stupid that I didn't believe that win95 wouldn't install with
> fbsd AND NT, so I tried it several times - I wanted to have tripleboot but it
> seems to be very difficult to make it working with two (or more, I tested the
> good old ms-dos too) m$'s products. I also found out that even win NT
> isn't very stable, I got dial-up network working fine with it but it doesn't
> work anymore - and i haven't changed a thing. Well I don't really need it
> anymore, I got ppp working great from freebsd, and I haven't even booted to
> winNT for few weeks.
>
> But I also had something to ask about:
> I remember someone asked about StarOffice, and Sue told him/her to try some
> ports - which those ports/packages were?
> Any other suggestions for good/powerful/nice/goodlooking/terrible
> textprocessing utilities are welcome
>
> btw,
> does anyone know any url's to documents that describe programming in UNIX
> environment?
> - I don't know how to compile my c program which uses gtk.. and that's a BIG
> problem.
>
> Jukka Simila <lmkjuksi@info1.info.tampere.fi>

Hello everybody.

	I am happyly using FreeBSD about 1 year at home (now I am running
2.5 release). My HDD Western Digital 3.2G is partioned in following
manner: 1-st partition - FAT32 1G with Windows 95 OSR2 ,2-nd DOS-EXTENDED
with FAT-16 1G partition and 3-rd 1G slice dedicated to FreeBSD. I am
using FreeBSD boot manager to perform dual boot. Now I am strong wish to
buy new PII and dedicate it almostly to FreeBSD 3.0).

	For typesetting I am using teTeX (TeX and LaTeX) with cyrillc KOI8
fonts. TeX for first approach is rather complex but some experience and
well documents can be produced for reasonable time: TeX (LaTeX) for
processing inputfiles, xdvi for preview dvi files(TeX output), dvips for
dvi to ps conversion. Postscript output can be interprete by GHOSTSCRIPT
to produce the output for most not postscript printers. All this require
X.

	Also I can strongly recommend HylaFAX (tm) telecommunication
package to work with your faxmodem to have capability send your documents
by fax and accept external logins through phone line. hylafax processes
sharing modems well with other telecommunication programs such as UUCP,
ppp.

Good by.

F. Snegov