Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 1995 18:03:48 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best way to diagnose system lockups?

I'm trying to debug why FreeBSD lockups when using a 4 port Ethernet
controller.  (it's a PCI board with 4 DC21040's sitting behind a DC21050
PCI-PCI bridge; it's UTP only).

Note that UnixWare 2.0 works fine (I transferred many gigabytes over
one of the bridged ports without a problem) with the board which leads
me to believe this may be a problem with FreeBSD and not with the
hardware.

DDB is built into the kernel.  I've modified kern_clock.c to add a
watchdog into hardclock/softclock (if softclock is not called at least
every 60 seconds, hardclock will force a panic; this is a standard
technique that I've used over the years quite effectively).

When the system locks up, neither DDB (via CTRL/ALT/ESC) nor hardclock
(no watchdog panic fires) is called.  The only way back is reset which
of course doesn't result in any useful information.  (damn it!  I like
machines with halt buttons (like a VAX or an Alpha).  Sigh)

(stepping through the system with DDB is not really effective which I
don't know where the system is hanging; I've tried the obvious places
in my driver).

Getting an ICE or a bus monitor is impossible.  The best guess is that
my driver is triggering a bug somewhere else in FreeBSD.

Any ideas on how to approach this?

Matt Thomas                          Internet:   matt@lkg.dec.com
U*X Networking                       WWW URL:    http://ftp.dec.com/%7Ethomas/
Digital Equipment Corporation        Disclaimer: This message reflects my
Littleton, MA                                    own warped views, etc.