Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:43:29 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Atsushi Furuta <furuta@sra.co.jp>
Cc:        hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which LAN PCCARD for FreeBSD (no PAO!)

Let me try to clear some of the smoke around here...

Static configurations is something which belongs in the past where
you didn't need to tweak your kernel config unless you had written
a cheque to your DEC sales rep.

Today most new technologies are dynamic by nature, CardBUS and
PCCARD are just the most prominent cases, but many more are on the
way.

FreeBSD is moving away from static configurations, it should be
particular obvious in this group why, and new-config doesn't buy
us much if anything to that goal (as far as I know), so new-config
must provide something else of significant value to stand a chance
of integration.

Any argument about "better handling of ISA" will not do, the ISA
bus is finally showing signs of terminal age, and improving on the
current level of config support for ISA will not be a major priority.

I think the general modus operandi in regards to this can be summed
up as "Rather than mess with^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Himprove config/newconfig,
lets get rid of the bloddy thing alltogether"

It is my understanding that new-bus has dynamic devices as a design
principle, not something bolted on afterwards, that makes new-bus
a very likely future key component of FreeBSD.

The important thing here is that recognizing the speed at which we
can code, we should look at the hardware as it will be in 2002 when
we design/architect today, >that< is our target!

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!