Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 21:45:56 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hold Harmless (was: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix)
References:  <20020402113404.A52321@lpt.ens.fr> <3CA9854E.A4D86CC4@mindspring.com> <20020402123254.H49279@lpt.ens.fr> <009301c1da83$9fa73170$0a00000a@atkielski.com> <15530.6987.977637.574551@guru.mired.org> <3CAAAA98.E9D7EBE6@mindspring.com> <b8vgb8679z.gb8_-_@localhost.localdomain> <3CAB69B8.2817604E@mindspring.com> <wjn0wj5lly.0wj@localhost.localdomain> <3CACFDE5.7EB9FECA@mindspring.com> <g2y9g23i8j.9g2@localhost.localdomain>

"Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:
> I doubt if even the DMCA can bind you to the terms of a license
> contract which doesn't exist.  The text does, but the contract
> doesn't if the user of the code has never seen the text.  Your
> items of consideration only help make the point, because the
> user has not indicated acceptance of the disclaimer; he doesn't
> even need to do that to accept the license.
>
> It's a good guess that the DMCA requires some kind of clear notice
> to downloaders before the downloading of no-cost software will be
> considered illegal.  But I guess I need to read the DMCA.  Argh.

Yep.  You need to read it.  It makes "shrink wrap" licenses
valid, which means that you can put them inside the box,
and are bound by it because you opened the box, whether
you read the license or not.

Whether this is insane or not is irrelevent, so long as
it is the law.

> > The question is whether there are deep pockets behind that.
>
> That accounts for the lack of huge numbers of suits, but not
> for the absense of them, methinks.

I don't think Open Source is being used everywhere people
think it is; for where it's being used, I think people are
adding to it and thereby creating derivative works, for
which they are predominantly responsible.

> > Yes.  Like the consideration that you not use my name in
> > advertising, or the consideration that you hold me harmless.
>
> For the purposes of the argument, yes, like that; but not even such
> low-value consideration is involved in the "running" of PD or BSDL'd (or
> GPL'd) software (assuming the DMCA doesn't forbid it).

For PD, that's true... that's the whole point, really: there
is no contract, therefore there is no hold harmless.  This is
because even though you have stuck a notice on it, the access
to the code is not subject to the consideration of compliance
with the license.  PD, by definition, doesn't have contingent
access.

> > No.  The BSD license *specifically* states:
> >
> >       The Regents of the University of California.  All
> >       rights reserved.
> >
> > This includes use and performance rights.  8-).
>
> There are no such rights FOR SOFTWARE in the 17USC106 "Exclusive
> rights..." list and I've read quite a bit on the subject and have never
> seen anyone show any evidence for such rights for software.  The FSF,
> for instance, is clear to note that the GPL doesn't cover "use".  The
> BSDL's mention of "use" is moot, AFAIK.

No.  The GPL incorrectly uses the word "use" when they mean
"utilize".

> There isn't even an exclusive copy right, for the "use" case covered by
> 17USC117 (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html) which is
> widely interpreted as "running" the software.

It's widely interpreted wrong.  "Use" is as in "use in the
preparation of a derivative work".

> > Mississipi and Missouri both have appelate level rulings
> > that uphold the validity of shrink wrap licenses; I have
>
> I've seen it (or something similar), but I don't see why it matters.

Because the decision was made at the apellate level, which
means that it's legally binding on inferior courts, and they
are not permitted to rule in contradiction to the decision on
future cases involving the same point of law.

> I'm just theorizing that such licenses are probably necessary (in the
> absence of a signed contract) to give a disclaimer most of the legal
> effect desired because only such licenses can restrict the running of
> a copy of software (with its attendant damage potential).

This is the problem with the understanding.  The licenses are
the only things that *permit*.  By default, Copyright restricts
all use and utilization.  This is because installation requires
copying (for traditional installation; it would be interesting
to see whether a bootable CDROM is considered "copying into
memory"... it would also be interesting to see if such loading
into memory constitutes "first use" or subsequent use; the
backup provisions only apply to "first use").

> > > [...]  There are many arguments I won't go into why it is wrong to hold
> > > PD publishers to a higher standard than prorietary publishers and I
> > > believe that courts have acknowledged a similar concept in their
> > > mentions of "consideration" in contract cases.
> >
> > There is no higher standard.  There is only a preponderance of
> > evidence.
>
> Your mention of the higher standard is what started this thread.  You
> said something to the effect that people have to keep software
> proprietary so their disclaimer has legal merit, implying that their
> disclaimer on PD software has no (or less) legal merit.  I call that
> a higher standard for PD software.  Maybe it isn't the best term.

No... it's not.  A "higher standard" is where there is
differential treatment based on membership, or the lack
thereof, in a select group.  You've implied it, but not
said it outright: The "higher standard" is a legitimate
legal defense against enforcement.

Actually, since we are talking civil, rather than criminal,
there's no statutory enforcement involved, so there is no
opportunity for a higher standard here.

I think what you wanted to say is that PD authors should be
permitted to obtain equal protection against litigation by
disclaiming warranties and fitness.  The answer is: they are
not entitled to disclaim them without a contract, in which
the recipient permits them to disclaim them as part of the
consideration.

This is why, in order to encourage PD works, there needs to
be special consideration in the law to implicitly disclaim,
by default, such things which are normally reasonably and
customarily disclaimed.

You *might* be able to get away with something like:

	"Subject to the following conditions, this code is
	 placed in the public domain"

I don't think that this would work, in practice, however,
since "Public Domain" has special legal meaning.  By making
your placement in the public domain subject to terms, you
are implying a contract with all of society, which I don't
think you can do, even if the DMCA were found to be fully
enforcible.  THis is the interpretation that RIAA and MPAA
is trying to enforce with DVD and the DMCA.

> But I think both cases are essentially the same regarding a disclaimer
> for 17USC117 "use" because both may be legally obtained and "used"
> without ever even seeing the disclaimer.  Either both are at significant
> legal risk, or neither are mostly because of the lack of or low value of
> consideration or for practical/sociological reasons.

You have to read the code in order to prepare a derivative
work.  I think your claim might be correct, with regard to
binaries.

However, the UCBL requires that the license notice accompany
distribution for the distribution to be legal, so one can
argue that it's legally contingent on the acceptance of the
license by the recipient, and that enforcement of acceptance
is the responsibility of the distributor.  The GPL fails a bit
in this regard, in that it attempts to enforce against
distribution of binaries as a seperate class, while at the
same time permitting derivative works.  the problem is, again,
in their use of the word "use" rather than the word "utilize".

If you feel incredibly strongly about it, you're always welcome
to engage in a test case.

-- Terry