Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 17:59:21 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby), hasty@rah.star-gate.com, root@dihelix.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake's out, where's that Linux ELF emulation?

> One could also argue that it's better to have "FreeBSD" than "Linux"
> on the outside of the box on store shelves.

Again, you make the tacit assumption that ISVs are willing and able to
support multiple UN*X platforms for their products.  Such is simply no
longer true, and it's more a question of saving what little we have
left at this point.  Hell, it was exactly this divisive kind of "well
we don't like it if it doesn't smell like us" thinking that led to the
current crisis in the UNIX applications market.  UNIX didn't fail to
capture the desktop by pure caprice, a number of its staunchest
supporters were among the busiest in helping to pull defeat from the
jaws of victory.  Everybody had their own favorite tree and did their
best to ignore the very existance of a forest.  Feh!

Sorry, while I'd love to see FreeBSD be such a hit that little
"FreeBSD Ready!" stickers started appearing on machines from the likes
of Dell and Compaq, I'm too much of a realist to expect that I
actually will.  Likewise, I don't see UNIX coming back from the dead
and catapulting shrink-wrapped FreeBSD software into places like
Egghead.  I just don't.  Heck, I don't even see it doing that with
Linux yet (if ever), and that market is easily 3-4 times our size.

The old maxium of "together we stand, divided we fall" never seems to
have caught on in the UNIX world, and that's a damn shame.  I would
personally be *happy* to see in inter-OS common ABI established, with
Linux as both the starting and ending point if need be (they're the
bigger gorilla, and that grants certain privileges).  How long can it
possibly take the UNIX market to otherwise wake up and smell the
friggin' coffee?  We (the UNIX commuity at large) screwed up by
playing 3 stooges when we should have been designing interoperability
standards, and we sent most of our ISV friends packing by presenting
them with a support picture that had all the professional grace and
elegance of an english football riot.

Picture, if you will, a UNIX consultant talking to the product manager
for Foobolix at Foonetics, Inc:

"You say you want to support this product on ``UNIX''?  Ah...  OK,
 go get ahold of some Solaris, AIX, HP/UX, SCO and OSF/1 machines
 (plus maybe a SunOS partition for the hold-outs), hire at least 3
 engineers and prepare to spend 3-6 months at it.  Oh yeah, you'll
 also need to keep the machines around more or less indefinitely
 for ongoing support."

[a strangling noise is heard over the phone]

"Hello?  Are you OK?  Yes, I do admit that this is 6 times the effort
 for a market perhaps 1/100th the size of Windows..  No, it doesn't make
 any sense, I agree.  Excuse me?  No, I'm afraid that the free UNIX market
 isn't in much better shape.  There are at least 3 different variants for the
 Intel architecture alone, and each has its own distinct ABI."

[mumble mumble gritch sigh]

"Yes, in their father's footsteps as it were.  Those that have fathers,
 yes.  You're quite astute, sir.  Perhaps we should move on to discuss the
 NT version of your product?"

Any similarity to real-life conversations I've had is purely
coincidental.

					Jordan