Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:54:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Dave Hummel <johanndirty@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installworld problem

> Hi,
>
> I saw a few references but no definitive answer in the
> archives. I have been cvsup'ing and making world every
> day for the last 5 days and the result is always the
> same:
>
> ln -sf libz.so.2 /usr/lib/libz.so
> install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 zlib.3.gz
> /usr/share/man/man3
> ===> bin
> ===> bin/cat
> install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   cat /bin
> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/libexec/elf/strip:
> /bin/stH13908: Operation not permitted

It's trying to write a file to /bin.  The solution is to unset the
schg flag on /bin, /bin/*, /sbin, and /sbin/*, and reset them when
installworld is finished.  And if it's not a solution, it's a
workaround with no apparent downsides (other than a bit more work).
I've been doing this for quite some time.

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved."
	-- Charles F. Kettering