Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 1995 18:42:12 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to diagnose system lockups?

>>> Matt Thomas said:
 >
 > I'm trying to debug why FreeBSD lockups when using a 4 port Ethernet
 > controller.  (it's a PCI board with 4 DC21040's sitting behind a DC21050
 > PCI-PCI bridge; it's UTP only).

Have you considered tcpdump ?

Perhaps snooping on the ether traffic from another machine may help.

A circular trace buffer in your driver so that if the system locks up
and you can get in you can find out what where the last few operations
from your driver.

Not sure if this matters but I heard from Best.com that their ftp site
is or was locking up once a day so it may not be your driver.

	Regards,
	Amancio