Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 07:34:44 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backup solutions

My opinion on the matter differs depending on the use.  For example, for a box
that you don't have access to, hard disk backups are a good solution.  They are
also a good solution to save money (since a cheap IDE hard drive can hold a lot
of data).  With tape backups (or removable media in general), you have the added
ability of taking the backup off site, so if your machine gets melted in a fire,
you won't lose both.  The other thing is, with a few tapes, you can keep a LOT
of backed up material, with incrementals separate, whereas it takes more hard
drive space to do that.  In addition, you are somewhat limited to the amount of
hard drive space you can have in a computer (assuming you were doing IDE,
because SCSI would be cheaper to just buy a tape drive)- for instance, you can
have 4 IDE devices, plus another IDE card (with 4 more devices), so you are
limited to 8 drives (minus one for the drive you are backing up, and maybe minus
one for a cd-rom/r/rw/etc), so possibly 6 drives for backup.  Now, that can mean
a lot of data backed up, but calculate the cost, and shop for a tape drive that
is that price, plus some media, and there you are back at tape media again.

So, all in all, for small, quick and easy, single machine backups, a hard drive
is sufficient, but for anything other than that, I would say you would want to
use tape.

Eric