Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 13:19:40 +1000
From:      John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Queries

The first FreeBSD that I installed was 2.2.5 and it installed an older
version of perl. However in the packages I was able to install perl
5.004_01. The FreeBSD "standard" perl lives in /usr/bin and the
installed package goes into /usr/local/bin/perl.

I'm not sure why they keep the old version 4 around, probably since
it's known to be stable. It's also in the CVS tree so I suppose it
gets officialy supported and fixed.

Cheers.

Joey Garcia wrote:

> People have been talking about what they would like from FreeBSD and stuff
> like that.  I have been wondering...I remember way back when I installed
> (or tried to install) FreeBSD 2.2.2, it installed old versions of Perl and
> other stuff, when there was a brand new (stable, I think) version of Perl.
> I think it installed Perl 4.0 when there was a Perl 5.003 at the time.
>
> Does the installation process of newer version of FreeBSD do the same, or
> have they fixed it so that new software versions get installed?  I know
> that Linux was always up to date on things like that, but then again Linux
> usually gets ported to pretty quick.
>
> Anyways....in case that FreeBSD is still slow on getting new software
> versions installed during installation...maybe it's time that FreeBSD
> speeds up things like this.  But that's only in case they haven't done so
> already.
>
> Just my opinion and stuff, if it matters.  :)
>
> Joey Bear Garcia

      .   | John Saunders   mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au  (Work) |
  ,--_|\  |                 mailto:john@nlc.net.au              (Home) |
 /  Oz  \ |                 http://www.nlc.net.au/~john/               |
 \_,--\_/ | SCITEC LIMITED  Phone +61 2 9428 9563  Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
       v  |    "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends."   |