Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 1995 08:24:35 -0400
From:      Gene Stark <gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <freebsd.org!jkh@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Well, I'm stumped.. [ij-ppp]

Jordan writes:
>Tonite, after adding a whole batch of afilters and dfilters (as per suggestion)
>I went back to auto mode and went out to dinner after reading my mail.
>Here's what I found in my ppp log when I came back:

Your ppp.conf looks the same as mine except that I have "set timeout 300"
near the beginning whereas you have "set timeout 60" near the end.

Have you watched the modem lights (if any) to check for telltale periodic
stuff getting send when the line is supposed to be idle?  Are you getting
any sort of "keepalive" packets from your provider?

The only further suggestion I can make is to run tcpdump on the interface
and try to find out what you are getting or sending that is holding open
the line.  On my system (with the filters you now have), ppp drops the line
religiously after five minutes go by.
								- Gene