Date:      Wed, 8 May 1996 09:41:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        faulkner@asgard.bga.com, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SNAP over enthernet.

As Gary Palmer wrote:

> > The recipient's MS Mail system has not delivered your message & has
> > provided the following reason: <Error Executing MS Mail External>
>
> I've been getting thse too. It just means someone is subscribed to
> -questions and has screwed up.

No, it basically means that someone is subscribed to questions but has
a broken mailer.  (That's no surprise however, after seeing the MS
word there...)

Mailers are supposed (by RFC-822 and ff.) to send delivery failure
notices to the envelope sender address, not the message From or
Reply-To address.  This way, our great postmaster would have seen it
instead of you.  (And once he saw too many of them in a row caused by
one particular destination address, he's usually going to remove the
offender from the lists.)

If i'm getting a mail like this, i usually:

. forward it to Jonathan, so he knows about it, and
. complain at the postmaster of the offending site about his broken
  mailer.

--
cheers, J"org