Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 1995 21:14:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com>
Cc:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random Lockups

On Tue, 27 Jun 1995, Rashid Karimov. wrote:

> > On one of our 486's and now my Micron, the system will lock up solid causing
> > a hard reboot in the 486 case.  In the P100 case the system has to be reset
> > by the button.  Has anyone else experienced this?  This has happened quite
> > frequently with the 2.0.5R, never with the 0210-SNAP or 04-SNAP

> 	If any1 here thinks about switching to 205 to run  the
> 	server - DO NOT DO IT ! The system is not stable :( Alas :(

  I'd have to disagree with that.  I supped current on 5-29 which was
just before 2.0.5A was rolled, only some fixes to NFS were added to
2.0.5R.  Anyways, system uptime is now 26 days.  Before that it was up
about two weeks before it was interrupted by a power failure.  System is
running e-mail and some usenet.  You also seem to forget that
ftp.cdrom.com runs FreeBSD.  Or don't you consider that a server?

> 	Nodoby apparently is working on those mysterious lock-ups.
> 	What's the position of the chief architect - Jordan ?

  The core team is not a babysitting service.  Reported bugs are worked on.

> 	Should we really be concerned about bleeding edge instead
> 	of robustness ??? 1% enhancements and not the way to smoothly
> 	upgrade the system with new version ? How can FreeBSD get
> 	its share of market w/o it ? Who will be willing to run
> 	the system but computer geeks ?

  This isn't a competition.  If you see a need, then step up with a solution.

> 	It's clear that FreeBSD outbits Linux as server. But w/o
> 	non-working QUOTAs and constant lock-ups in 205 who will
> 	use it ?

> 	It's also clear it's constantly loosing the the workstation
> 	market - Linux is everywhere ... The books - 4 or 5 of
> 	them are out there already .. the support for the latest
> 	video-cards...

  Support for latest video cards?  FreeBSD doesn't support _any_ video
cards.  We rely on XFree86 for that, which is exactly what Linux uses too.

Tom