Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 19:58:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@freebsd.org>, obrien@freebsd.org, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:

> The problem is not that "csh" scripts from other systems won't run
> on "tcsh", the problem is that if someone naievely writes code
> thinking that the result will then run on some other box, when in
> fact it will not, because that boxes "csh" has not be replaced
> with "tcsh".

So you wouldn't object to leaving csh as csh, importing tcsh and making it
the default shell for root?

The perception of new users is really a very big factor here - people who
spend any time listening to newbie comments (as opposed to just talking
about their 20-year old UNIX habits and how they're too old to change)
will know how much we Lose here when they're used to a system (Linux) with
a "friendly" default shell.

Kris

----