Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 1996 15:09:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Amanda Chou <achou@best.com>
To:        Michael Beckmann <petzi@apfel.de>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyan Tomcat ? 256 MB RAM ? DIMMs ?

> Hello,
>
> I was considering the Tyan Tomcat mainboard for a machine with
> more-than-average RAM. The mainboard manual claims it can accomodate 8 x 32
> MB SIMMs, but I'm not sure if I believe that. Has anyone tried that out ?
> 32 MB SIMMs are usually double-sided. If it could accept 6 of the 32 MB
> SIMMs, that would be OK for me, too.

You might wanna give Tyan Tomcat III a try. I use 4 8x36-60 SIMMS (128MB
total) and it's perfectly happy; it automatically detects the amount of RAM
on the board, so there's no extra work for you. Even though Tomcat I claims
it can work up to 512MB RAM with a Tag RAM and modifying two jumper
settings, it's a lot of pain and I was only able to get it work with 8 4x32
EDO RAM but not 4 8x36 parity RAM.

Amanda