Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 1995 11:53:16 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: quantum (DEC) grand prix (any objections?)

>?

>'t

>> >the on board NCR of the ASUS SP3G PCI board.
>>
>> Some incompatibility with the code the NCR runs (I don't know if its called
>> a sequencer program like it is for the Adaptec).  The aic7xxx driver had a
>> similar problem, but was fixed more than a month ago.
>
>Can you provide specific details of what you had to do to the sequencer
>code for the aic7xxx, the NCR does infact use sequencer code and the
>same fix could probably be adapted into it makeing the Grand Prix supportable.
>
>It may also fix the problems with certain CDROM drives and TAPE drives
>that show a very similiar failure to the Grand Prix drive.
>
>--
>Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
>Accurate Automation Company                   Custom computers for FreeBSD

The problem with the aic7xxx was fairly simple.  Whenever a selection was
being made to a device, as initiated by turning on the selection hardware,
the sequencer code always always assumed that it would win.  With slow
devices, this is not a problem, but with fast devices, and my guess is that
the Grand Prix goes right to the limit of the spec on the bus settle times
and such, there was a window between the last time we checked to see if other
initiators or targets had won arbitration, and when we started our own
arbitration for the bus.  During arbitration, the original code from John
Aycock would just busy look until sucess.  This would cause other devices
that won arbitration of the bus by sneeking into during the window to
timeout on the card and fall off the bus. The fix, and this may only be an
option on the aic7xxx, was to keep the reselection hardware enabled at all
times, and enable selections whenever we wanted to arbitrate.  When we start a
transaction, we go back to the generic loop that looks for reconnections,
successfull selections, and soon, selections from another initiator
(target mode).  This fixed the problem quite nicely, but you need to add
aditional state to handle the case that your selection failed and the next
time the bus goes free to try it again.  For the aic7xxx, this is all handled
transparantly to the kernel.
--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1