Date:      17 Nov 2001 17:04:09 -0600
From:      rand@meridian-enviro.com (Douglas K. Rand)
To:        "E. Jordan Bojar" <bojar@intersystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Ware IDE RAID

Jordan> Can FreeBSD 4.4 use a the 3Ware IDE RAID mirror to boot?

Yup!  It is way cool!

Jordan> That is, can I do a full install (partitioning and all) onto a
Jordan> mirrored array and expect the machine to "just work", or do I
Jordan> need some kind of boot disk as well (I recall this was the
Jordan> case some time ago)?

We have 6 systems with all the disks hooked up to a 3ware
controller. (This excepts the CD-ROM drive. :)

All work like a charm, boot fine. In fact, all installed directly from
either the 4.3 or 4.4 distributions.

The only thing that took me a bit to realize was the RAID-0 and
RAID-10 volumes needed to be initialized, and this /really/ slows down
the installation, especially newfs. One reason I didn't figure this
out right away is that the front panel LED from the 3ware card doesn't
show this activity, only the internal LEDs for the indvidual disks.

I've fallen in to the habit of forcing a fdisk label (DOS partition
table) to be written out to the disk and then just waiting, up to a
few hours, for the RAID volume initialization to finish. Then I reboot
and do the install again.