Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:54:58 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        "gummibear@nettaxi.com" <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP Address Management

Hi,

I bought this book a few months ago which I found very useful.

IP Addressing and Subnetting including IPv6
Syngress ISBN 1-928994-01-6
www.syngress.com

This book covers IP addressing and subnetting and also has stuff
on deployment and management. It was worth the read for me.

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 02:48:35PM -0800, gummibear@nettaxi.com wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I was wondering what other sys admins do about IP Address management.  By that I mean, the way (or, which method is commonly used to apply addresses for different devices) admins apply IP addresses to machines, printers, routers, etc.  This there a certian convention used?
>
> I'm not sure if I'm totally making myself clear on this subject.  But let's say you have a class C address block (192.168.0.0/24 for example).  Where would you start numbering things off?  At the router, server, etc?  (router = 192.168.0.1, firewall = 192.168.0.2, server = 192.168.0.3, printer = 192.168.0.3 for example).  I'm sure people don't apply addresses to machines at random, because that would be almost a nightmare to figure out what's what (unless you have DNS, or something to map it all out).
>
> Anyways, I just wanted to know if there are any undocumented standards or conventions to the application of IP addresses.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joey

Best Regards
Willem Brown
--
 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

There are some micro-organisms that exhibit characteristics of both
plants and animals.  When exposed to light they undergo photosynthesis;
and when the lights go out, they turn into animals.  But then again,
don't we all.