Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 95 15:46 BRT
From:      Carlos Antonio Ruggiero <TOTO@ifqsc.sc.usp.br>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Slip hangs my machine :-(

Hi everybody,

I'm having trouble with my slip connection. I waited for 2.0.5
to see if the problem went away but it is still there...

I have a leased line to my university ( a cisco router) and a
US Robotics V.FC 28.800 on each side of the connection. The cisco
router is rather old and only supports slip (no VJ compression)

I've been using this setup since september 1993 (the modem was 14400)
with no problems whatsoever. However, since one of the latest
snaps (the march one I think) the slip connection hangs
the machine after 1 or 2 megabytes of transfers. When I say
"hangs" I mean it! No activity, no ALT-FN, nada. Only the big
red button...

I'm sure it's not a hardware problem because DOS, OS/2 (aaarrrgh)
and linux seem to be very happy with it. I've been transferring
hundreds of megabytes using linux with no problems.

I believe it's got to do with some configuration thing but I am
really not sure. What I do is:
slattach -s 38400 -h /dev/cuaa1
ifconfig sl0 143.107.228.51 143.107.228.4
route add default 143.107.228.4

And that is all. It works for a while and ... freezes... Do
I have to set cuaa1 to some state? Any other parameter to slattach?

Please help!! It is funny that I have to use linux when FreeBSD
was so nice in this respect when linux was quite shaky, two years
ago...

Ahh, FreeBSD 2.0 Release seems to be fine but I need the
2940 device driver to use my 2.1G disk and my Exabyte tape :-)

Thanks

Carlos Ruggiero (toto@ifq.sc.usp.br)