Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2006 16:54:49 +0100
From:      Freminlins <freminlins@gmail.com>
To:        "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_N=F8rgaard?=" <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Tyler Spivey <tspivey@pcdesk.net>
Subject:   Re: switching from linux to freebsd

On 01/08/06, Erik N=F8rgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org> wrote:

You usually don't patch up your system everyday. Remount rw do the
> patching and remount ro. The problem is more that some 3rd party
> applications assume that /usr is writeable. I found the problem more
> annoying with / whenever I need to change some system file.

I still disagree. The base OS files which need protecting are already
protected sufficiently. If you don't agree with this then simply remounting
ro is not sufficient. Only with elevated securelevels would this be useful.
Else, anyone who gets root on the box can simply remount rw and do what the=
will.

However, most important is to have /tmp on a separate partition. Then
> there will only be few writes on /.

Except for useful things like installing additional software. That is
something I do do regularly.

I think it is very valuable to get the system up so I can rescue my
> data. Having base system go down along with my data doesn't seem to have
> any clear advantages

Mounting / and/or /usr ro will get your systems up faster and that
> seemed to be the issue.

You made the point with reference to security, not system recovery. That is
what I am contradicting.

Cheers, Erik

Cheers,
Frem.