Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 21:36:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Thomas Graichen <graichen@axp5.physik.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: booteasy

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Thomas Graichen wrote:

> i'm trying to get OpenBSD booted from my second ide disk - on the first is
> FreeBSD with booteasy installed - it also says fine:
>
> F1: BSD
> F2: disk2
>
> but after pressing F2 i get the same menu - i know i had the same problem with
> NetBSD some time ago and got it somehoe working - but can't remember how - can
> anybody tell me a bit more about how booteasy works ?

You'll get this if the geometry on the disk (2) is wrong in the
bootblocks.  I don't know how OpenBSD does it but it will have to be
reinstalled and the correct geometry used.

> p.s.: how about making it possible to boot each of the *BSD's with the other
> bootloaders - i can boot FreeBSD with the NetBSD (1.1) one - but not vice
> versa - Open- and FreeBSD are both not bootable by the other block - i think
> there can't be much of a difference in them

I would have through that you could use the Boot: loader and type
wd(1,a)/kernel and get the other system.  All the block does is jump to
the appropriate point and start exec'ing the kernel.  The original
bootblock was adapted from Mach, so the sequence must be similar across
Unixes.