Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 1996 09:49:27 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems connection a terminal!!

    Lars>       so everything seems to be o.k.  but I never get a
    Lars> character on the terminal only if I switch on local echo.

Are you sure the cable is working ... have you tried some continuity
tests on the pins?  Are the brightness and contrast controls on the
terminal turned all the way up?

You might want to check /etc/rc.serial as well too and be certain no
strange lock-state or initial-state flags are set for ttyd2.

I'd also recommend you see my chapter on Hardwired Terminals in the
FreeBSD handbook, but it still hasn't been checked in!  :-(

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov