Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:40:09 -0800
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@encontacto.net>
To:        Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Cc:        John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>, Len Conrad <LConrad@go2france.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64-bit PCI mobos

I'm using one that I got from John to replace the defective board that came
with an fnord server.  It's running current dual 1G PIII, 2GB Ram, 1.6TB
raid 10, NO PROBLEMS BUT NO PROBLEMS, great board.

ed

P.S.  John Von Essen uses the board on the servers he builds and was
kind enough to save my ass after I was ripped off on a server purchase
from Fnord Systems in Bellingham, WA. (never buy  from those guy's
and believe anything that they say and especially don't expect ANY
service like replacing a defective motherboard.)  I would recommend
looking at John's servers.  That is where I'll look for my next one.
He's proven himself to me.

Quoting Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>:

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 10:13:18PM -0500, John Von Essen wrote:
> > I would recommend the TYAN 2518 with ServerWorks chipset. Supports two
> > 64-bit PCI slots, dual Pentium III, 4 Gb RAM, optional Ultra160 SCSI
> > onboard. This board works very well with FreeBSD.
>
> Earlier versions of this motherboard had some reboot problems, at least
> with Linux, I believe they have been overcome, partly with a software
> patch to it, the newer have a BIOS update (I think). Otherwise, very
> nice board.
>
> 	Joerg
> --
> Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
> WAND and NLANR MOAT			Email: <joerg@nlanr.net>
> The University of Waikato, CompScience	Phone: +64 7 8384794
> Private Bag 3105			Fax:   +64 7 8585095
> Hamilton, New Zealand			Plan:  PMA, TINE and the DAG's

---