Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 22:01:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Larry Dolinar <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpd, 3 parallel ports, and occasional lpd.core

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Larry Dolinar wrote:

> OK, you can stop laughing now, but all I really want it to be is a nice
> little BSD printserver for our inkjets.  The basic problem is that the
> box is slow to acknowledge print requests (even compared to an old HP
> 725), but reasonably quick to shove the data at the printers.

Printing from my OS/2-based laptop to my FreeBSD box driving a DJ 500C
does take a little bit on my setup.  Once the job is sent though the
printer will fire up.

> Jul 16 15:29:57 chub /kernel: pid 265: lpd: uid 0: exited on signal 11
>             :
> Jul 17 10:28:25 chub /kernel: pid 1211: lpd: uid 0: exited on signal 11
>             :
> Jul 17 10:42:21 chub /kernel: pid 1232: lpd: uid 0: exited on signal 11
>

> I'd like to know what the signal 11 indicates (memory problems?).
> Discerning individuals will notice the I/O ports for lpt0-2 are skewed:
> made necessary by some hardware issue I don't yet understand.  And is it
> a mistake to turn on polling for lpt0 in these circumstances?

Errors like these will come up if you have corrupted memory or cache.  You
can try replacing the memory.  And if it handles quite a bit of traffic
then a memory increase wouldn't be such a bad idea (especially looking at
memory prices nowadays).