Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:16:29 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        seek3r <seek3r@neurotic.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.3.1 on Freebsd?

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 09:12:52PM -0800, seek3r wrote:
> I've decided to use java with my bsd box only im not sure how to implement
> that.  Ive used java on linux for some time but find linux to be derivative.
>
> Id love to use java on my bsd box, but is 1.3.1 really available on freebsd?

Yes, the core JDK is ported and appears to work quite well.  Its not
completely bug free, but people are certainly reporting that major
applications are working well with it.  Its currently missing a working
browser plugin, fully functional native threads and HotSpot.

> Is the hotspot JIT part of that jdk port?  If not, would you recommend
> that I instead build 1.2.2 with an alternative JIT to run my jsp applications?

No HotSpot port has been done yet.  I haven't tried any other JITs, but
OpenJIT and shuJIT are both known to work with 1.3.1.  With 1.2.2 its
known that OpenJIT, shuJIT and TYA work at least.

> Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd recommend using 1.3.1 over 1.2.2 as people's time is much more focused
in that direction at the moment.

> ps - which alternate opensource JITs would you recommend? Also, is IBM's
> famed JDK for linux performing well on bsd in linux mode?

The IBM JDK works under Linux emulation.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887