Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:04:34 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows Refund Day: Watch out for Linux tactics

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 02:42:39PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Given that this is California, there should be enough truck-like
> > > vehicles involved that someone will have enough chain and traction to
> > > deal with something so flimsy as "doors".
> >
> > I assume that was a demonstration of your wonderful dry humor. Being an 4th
> > generation New Yorker it's a bit too subtle for me ;-)
>
> Sorry.  I was assuming that your movie reference was a subtle way of
> saying "not being there would be a bad idea for them".  I was just
> putting a different angle on it.

Yes, that was exctacly what I had in mind. Michael Moore is one of my heros
and that movie had a hugh impact on me when I first say it.

> > Please keep in mind people that this will not be a storming of the
> > Bastille, gratifying as it might be. We should be respectful of their
> > property. We should be firm yet polite when we ask for our money back.
>
> Indeed.  However it would be silly for them to assume that we will be
> so nice.  I'm not expecting riot foam, but I wouldn't be surprised if
> they're prepared to get heavy.  I think they have more class than to
> deliberately escalate things though. *shrug*  We shall see what we see.

I assume that they will have the "rent-a-cops" all ready to go if it does
go badly. I also assume that they are planning for the worst. Remember that
the media will be there so if things do get ugly we, the OSS people, will
look bad. This is why I urge that we be polite yet firm. Peaceful,
non-violent, non-cooperation is always the best and most powerful tool in
these situations. I, personally, will have nothing to do with the
destruction of property or any criminal acts. I suspect that vast majority
of people attending tomorrows event are of a like mind.

If, G*D forbid it, things do start getting ugly our best tactic will be to
just walk away. We want nothing to do with trouble.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.0
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses