Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 19:08:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@london.virgin.net>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@cdrom.com>
Cc:        Robert Huff <rhuff@cybercom.net>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: horrible hack / SRM console

I've seen documentation (NetBSD site?) than mentions SRM support for 164SX
boards... which is why I tried to install DEC's latest firmware for this
board...  any ideas?

Scot.

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Murray Stokely wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Robert Huff wrote:
> % >  This is a perennial problem. At some point *BSD is going to have
> % >  to consider how to work under ARC or AlphaBIOS.
> %
> % 	Last I heard this had been considered and rejected, based on:
> %
> % 	1) the lack of difficulty in obtaining a SRM-using board, or
> % installing it afterward.
>
>   Thats bogus because of the large number of DEC systems such as XL's
> and SX boards that ONLY ship with AlphaBIOS and can not under any
> circumstances be upgraded to SRM.  Right now owners of any of the
> lower end Alpha workstations from the last few years are completely
> alienated with FreeBSD.
>
> % 	2) ARC, while technically usable, is clearly The Wrong Choice.
>
>   Ugly hack as it may be, MILO works very well for Linux.  SRM users
> in the Linux camp actually seem very few and far between.
>
> 	Murray Stokely

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-alpha" in the body of the message

Scot Elliott	                                Mobile: +44 (0)7050 126045
Work:   scot@london.virgin.net		                +44 (0)171 479 4482
Play:   scot@poptart.org, scot@indiekid.co.uk, s@cx     +44 (0)181 896 1019