Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 11:08:20 -0500
From:      Ben <neb@one.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   tosha and a scsi cdrom

To FreeBSD Guru Question Answerers:

In order to get digital audio from my cdrom to my hard drive it has been
recommended that I use the program tosha. Unfortunately it fails to work.
Since the error seems like something someone I am writing this to might know
how to address I am writing this. I have already exhausted a number of other
resources quickly. The man page for tosha wasn't helpful, the domain of
author of tosha's email address doesn't resolve and people in #freebsd on
efnet were not helpful.

I can use my cdrom drive to mount normal data cds without any problems. In
fact tosha -i correctly displays the name of my cdrom and correctly lists
the track information.

Here is the relevant CDROM information, from Tosha:
Device: /dev/cd0a -- "YAMAHA" "CDR400t" "1.0q"

I have an Adaptec AHA2940 scsi controller. The only other scsi device is a
hard drive. Here are the important lines from my kernel config file:

# SCSI Controllers
device          ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

This is what tosha does when I run tosha -t n, where n is a valid track.

zeus# tosha -t 1
Device: /dev/cd0a -- "YAMAHA" "CDR400t" "1.0q"

 track   playing  start    end     raw size  mp3 size   # of   track
 number   time    sector  sector   in bytes  128 kbps  frames  type
    1    7:27'58      32   33614   78987216   7165208   17142  audio
error sending CD-DA read command: Invalid argument
zeus#

It creates the file track0n.raw which contains what appears to be only a
audio header.

This seems to be something obvious. Maybe I just missing a config file or
need to add a line to kernel config?

When replying please CC me since I am not subscribed to the
freebsd-questions list.

Thank you,

Ben.