Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 1996 22:28:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Charles Green <chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX Specification

On Sat, 2 Mar 1996, Charles Green wrote:

> Chuck Robey stands accused of saying:
> } Date: Mar  2,  0:32
> } Subject: Re: UNIX Specification
> } On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Charles Green wrote:
> }
> } >         How close to the "SINGLE UNIX SPECIFICATION" is FreeBSD?
> }
> } I'm tempted to laugh here.  You may not know it, but lack of a SINGLE
> } UNIX SPECIFICATION is probably the single most talked about subject of
> } the last 10 years for the Unix community.  Since there is no such thing,
> } well, FreeBSD is (I suppose) as close as my digital wristwatch.
>
> 	Laugh if you wish but with the merger of X/Open and OSF I've
> found that this is becoming more of an issue. Besides, I'd like to see
> FreeBSD branded as an official "UNIX".
>
> } This is very philosophical, be real careful in drawing too much from it.
> } FreeBSD does (in my own opinion) care somewhat more about standards, and
> } definitely has a lot of very good points, including pretty solid
> } networking code, and relatively fewer fanatics on the mailing lists here
> } than Linux seems to have.
>
> 	I'm aware of this but what I'm not aware of is *exactly* how close
> it is...

I wasn't being fascetious.  You define what you actually mean by your
reference to SINGLE UNIX SPECIFICATION, then you can get an answer.  I'm
horrible at names, but I think I've seen yours before; I wasn't sure, so
I gave you an answer I would give to an absolute newbie.  You know as
well as I there isn't any one true unix yet.  If this wasn't flamebait,
and you still want an answer, be more specific and you might get one.

My personal gripe is actually the lack of the SINGLE UNIX SPECIFICATION.
It's generally conceded that this lack is unixland's biggest failing.

BTW, this belongs in FreeBSD-chat, not questions.  I changed the CC: list
to reflect that.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.