Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 1998 17:32:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, FreeBSD Hackers <Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GPS for xntpd Stratum 1 servers

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> The point of all this is that it's very important that the corrections
> used by the local clock algorithm have as low jitter as possible so
> you can get the PLL to "tighten up" it's control loop.  The preferred
> way of doing this is to arrange that the 1-PPS (pulse per second)
> signal from the external reference clock capture the current offset
> when it fires; typically the 1PPS signal is connected to a control
> line (like DCD or CTS) which generates an interrupt when it transitions;
> a line discipline or other kernel-level interrupt handler captures the
> current system timestamp, and this is queued to be handled by the
> daemon process leisurely.

As an aside, whilst using cheap receivers such as the Garmin and the
Tripmate I found that both seriously lack an extra 1PPS to the DCD,
as both the NMEA string start/stop points on the TxD data stream
jitter by as much as 0.2 second; even when switching off all other
strings, etc, etc. (Although you can solder a wire to the 1PPS pin
on either unit; it is just a sall SMD contact).

Dw.