Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:31:38 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Jan Buchmann <buchmann@stud.uni-frankfurt.de>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd thread-question

> first: the good news: the RFE reached 1000 votes :-).

Thanks to everyone who voted on the RFE, and especially to Joe who
actually submitted the request.  I'm not sure what effect (if any) it
will have on Sun, but at least at this point they see that there is a
vibrant FreeBSD user community, which may make other queries easier..

> second: some some questions about porting java to freebsd (I don't
> really know to much about differences between different OSs, but I'll
> just ask my questions from what I've heard.):
>

> 1. Shouldn't it be easier for SUN or another party to port the
> original Solaris JDK to FreeBSD systems) cause both OSs derive from
> the original BSD and FreeBSD is not a completly new implementation of
> *nix, like Linux is?

Nope.  Actually, it's easier to take the Linux changes and apply them,
since we both use XFree86.  Solaris is based on SVR4, not BSD code, so
actually the Linux code-base actually is a better start.  Solaris is
really it's own beast.

> 2. Does FreeBSD have a kernel-thread implementation, so that a port
> can use native-threads?

How, but for most things, native-threads aren't a big win, and can often
be a big lose because context switching in the kernel is *much* more
costly, so most multi-threaded programs run much faster using userland
code.

> 3. Is it possible to use Linux JDK1.2 under FreeBSD with native-threads?

Maybe, I don't know.

> 4. Does anyone know if IBM wants to do a JDK-Port to FreeBSD (their
> Linux-JDK is pure native threads)?

We don't have native threads, so it would be hard.

> 5. What are the main differences between Solaris, AIX and FreeBSD
> under the view of porting or implementing JDK1.2?

I have no idea about AIX, but the difficulty is usually related to
XFree86 (fonts and such), using select instead of poll, and the lack of
threaded libraries on FreeBSD.  This is a somewhat trivial lilst, as
there are lots more things to do, but those are some big ones.

Nate