Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 1995 15:50:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steven G Kargl  <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 3c509 and modems?

According to Eric L. Hernes:

> I was just running through the DOS configuration utility to set up
> the 3c509 cards.  I came across the little menu which had bootrom, io port
> and what not.  The I stumbled across the `maximum modem speed' option.
> Now why in the world would the 3c509 care what my maximum modem speed is?

Read your Adapter Guide, page 3-5.

Maximum modem speed allows the 3c509 to disable interrupts for various
lengths of time.  If you have a fast modem (or serial device), then you
do not want the interrupts disabled for long time periods.  If on the
other hand you have slow serial devices, the interrupts can be disabled
for a longer time period, and thus improving the performance of the
3c509.

There are some caveats, but you can read about these.

--
Steven G. Kargl     | Phone: 206-685-4677 |
Applied Physics Lab | Fax:   206-543-6785 |