Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 21:36:15 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Drive recommendation

pechter@shell.monmouth.com writes:
 > Any views on the DEC DSP5200S scsi drive.
 > I'm considering one -- since it meets my needs -- under $500 and
 > around 2GB.

The DEC drive might have been a good choice
2 years ago, but it for sure isn't anymore.

There are quite a number of 3.5" 2GB drives
available for about $500, and they should run
much quieter and more reliably. (The Seagate
43400 was sold out in the $350 region a few
months ago in Germany, and it offers 3GB and
better performance than the DSP5200.)

How about the IBM DORS-2160 ?

It is a 5400RPM, 8.5ms seek drive, that consumes
just over 4W (typ.) and should offer twice the
data rate of the old DEC drive ...

 > Size of drive is not an issue -- I've got the case space.
 > How's the reliability, noise and heat.

Typical power consumption of a 5.25" drive was
in the 20W to 30W region. This is far more than
even the fastest 3.5" drives, which only because
of their smaller surfaces run danger of overheating.

Reliability is hard to measure, but if you believe
the official MTBF numbers, then a modern 3.5" drive
will have only about 25% of the failure rate of a
5.25 drive as of two years ago.

The 3.25 drives are also less noisy, though the
7200RPM models surely aren't really quiet.

 > Anyone have any other recommendations...  I'm looking for something
 > above 1gb and under $500.  The controller is a an Adaptec 1542CF.
 > I'm running on a lowly 486...

Most modern 3.5" SCSI drives in the 2GB class that
rotate at 5400RPM are in the $500 range. You will
find them from Seagate, Quantum, IBM and HP. (The
HP 3725 seems to have problems with tagged commands.
I'm not sure whether they affect the AH1542CF.)

Regards, STefan