Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 22:49:23 -0700
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   My trials with FreeBSD (a positive story)

Hey Folks,

Well over this past week I have learned that I really need to start keeping
a diary of what I do with my FreeBSD box.  I had reinstalled FreeBSD after
taking a long hiatus from the OS.  I was welcomed pretty nicely back into
the OS, because I only had to reinstall it once. :)

Going back to my diary thing, I learned that I should have writted down
what I had done when I installed it and what packages I had installed.  Now
I have friends coming up to me asking for help and I don't remember what I
did myself to have it install so nicely.

Well, first thing I did was change the root shell to tcsh because I can't
live without command line editing.  Although, I really got used to using a
bash shell because my year's worth of experience with Linux.  Maybe later
I'll change it, but for now I have to figure out how to get my tcsh prompt
to display my current directory.  I think if I add `pwd` to the prompt line
it will fix that, but I'll screw with that later.

I added some more ports and stuff to make my system pretty much the way I
had my Linux system.  I'm not saying that my Linux system was better, just
that I had it all tweaked the way I wanted it.  Now I have to do the same
to my FreeBSD box, which I must say is running really great!

I just had a cable modem installed.  I pretty much paniced when I had to go
out and buy an ethernet card because I didn't know what ethernet card would
work with FreeBSD.  I chose some generic PCI card that was NE2000
compatible.  I didn't feel like spending a wad of cash for those expensive
Intel or 3com brands.

The card was detected fine, but it was detected as ed1 which did not
satisfy me.  I felt that the first network card should be on ed0 (NE200
card that is).  So after asking for help in the questions list, I finally
got my answer to how to fix this problem.  I believe that Johnathan Chen
was the one that helped me with that.  (Thanks John!!)  But before I
actually received my answer, I had compiled my kernel like 3 times trying
to get my ethernet card on ed0 instead of ed1.  Well I changed the device
line of my ethernet card to "device ed? at pci?" and recompiled and BANG! -
it worked.  My ethernet card is now on ed0. :)

Now I'm satisfied. :)

Next I downloaded the port for wide-dhcp which someone (Thanks alot to you
too!!) else helped me out with.  I installed it can got my cable modem up
and running in no time at all.  Damn is it fast!!! :)

Hmmm...now I want to see if I can set up my machine to be a server of some
sort.  I'm thinking I want to start servering/trading mp3's  or something.
Just to have fun with.  I get a dynamic IP so I don't know if I can get it
registered on ml.org but who knows? :)  Anyone ever try this?

Well, I guess that's all for now.  I have to help out a friend soon install
FreeBSD on his system.  He pretty much freaked out when he saw the login:
after he installed.  Then he tried reinstalling.  Don't know why though.  I
think I shall show him the way. :)

Thanks for listening.

Joey Bear Garcia