Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 18:21:26 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPv6 scoped addr format change

Hello,

Unfortunately, I have a notice that IPv6 scoped addr format
will change again.

It is once changed as the recent discussion between people who
are preparing IPv6 scoped addr draft for next IETF meeting in
March, like below.

  From    addr@scope
  To	  scope%addr

And I committed the change.
But, in more recent discussion, it further changed like below.

  From    scope%addr
  To	  addr%scope

Because some MIB expert commented that optional data before
addr is not suitable for MIB definition.

About that change I didn't committed yet, because I'm afraid of
another change. But this time the proposal seems to be stable.

But anyway, there is no guarantee that it can get concensus at
March IETF meeting, and same format could be adopted in the
RFC to be published after the meeting, maybe around April or
later.

But some scope addr format is need to be supported in 4.0.

So now I think of following things.

  -Adopt the format below now, and never change it again
   before 4.0 release.

     addr%scope

  -If future RFC will adopt another format, then support it
   also.
   E.g,

     Print out in new format.
     Support each format as input.

Sorry for flapping, but it is the best approach I can think
of now.

Thanks,
Yoshinobu Inoue